Re: [Xen-users] Bad experience in mounting a domU disk

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 11:00:43AM +0200, Alain Barthe wrote:
Hello,

> I don't understand how a read-only mount can corrupt a filesystem. Does it
> mean that something is written on the device, even if it is read-only ? Or
> does the read-only mount disturb the regular disk activity that is mounted
> rw elsewhere ?

Many journalled filesystems do replay journal even if mounted with 'ro'
option. XFS has norecovery option to truly read-only disk access.
Similar option has been recently added to ext3.

I think that the best approach is to take LVM snapshot of domU
filesystem and then mount (with journal replayed) that snapshot.

Regards,
Kupson
--
Great software without the knowledge to run it is pretty useless.
(Linux Gazette #1)