Re: [Xen-users] DomUs randomly freezing

  • To: XEN User - listmembers <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:07:42 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 03:07:22 -0700

Hi,

I would try to check following:

        - is dom0 able to take the load?
        I found bridging in dom0 with about 30 domU's an intensive task
        which can easily utilize 2 CPU cores. CPU pinning may help.

        - is dom0 min-mem high enough to not run out of memory?

        - are you able to xm console to a frozen domU?
        Just evaluate if only the networking is frozen or if the domUs
        are generally unreachable. What shows xentop ?

        - if this is a networking issue, are you using tcp offload?
        Maybe, you might try to ethtool -K INTERFACE tx off in every
        bridge connected domU. Setting dom0 also wont harm.

        - is the machine able to take the disk i/o ?
        AFAIK hard to measure, but xentop and vmstat should help investigating
        into this.

Cheers,

Stephan

Stefan Kögl schrieb:
Hi,

I'm using Xen on an up-to-date RedHat server with CentOS in the DomUs.
Randomly and not reproducible, the DomUs are freezing, causing SSH
connections to be aborted. Also, the DomUs don't react to pings during
this times. Locally, I can't find any evidence of this problems. The
log files don't contain suspicious entries during this times. The
whole problem lasts one, maybe two minutes, and then everything is
back to normal.

The host server is also reachable during this period, so network
problems are not part of the problem.

Can anyone point me on where to search for the source of the problem?

tia,

Stefan

Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 würzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: www.netz-haut.de <http://www.netz-haut.de/>

registriergericht: amtsgericht würzburg, hra 5054