Re: [Xen-users] unable to access Linux HVM via xm console - Couldnotread tty from store: No such file or directory

Yes, HVM - a hardware virtual machine - is the way to run unmodified guest O/Ss on Xen. If your O/S has a modified kernel available, though, you should use that. CentOS 5.1 definitely has a PV (modified) kernel available, so is there some reason you want to run your CentOS 5.1 domU in an HVM (unmodified), or maybe you should switch over to the modified kernel for that domU?

Nick Couchman wrote:
> HVM = fully virtualized.  The question is, why are you using fully
> virtualized domUs?  Why not paravirtualized (PV)?

> Itamar - IspBrasil wrote:
> > why you're using hvm ? its slow
> >

> > Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> I'm running CentOS 5.1 x64 + Xen 3.0 & I have setup a CentOS 5.1 x64
> >> domU as a HMV. For the setup I used VNC, but I would prefer to be
> >> able to access it via "xm console cPanel" via SSH directly.
> >>
> >> Here's the output cPanel HVM:
> >>
> >> [root@pc-00059 ~]# more /etc/xen/cPanel
> >> name = "cPanel"
> >> uuid = "ff940501-507d-04ca-e590-831e79ba0397"
> >> maxmem = 6144
> >> memory = 6144
> >> vcpus = 2
> >> builder = "hvm"
> >> kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
> >> boot = "c"
> >> pae = 1
> >> acpi = 0
> >> apic = 0
> >> on_poweroff = "destroy"
> >> on_reboot = "restart"
> >> on_crash = "restart"
> >> device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
> >> sdl = 0
> >> vnc = 0
> >> vncunused = 2
> >> #disk = [
> >>
> "phy:/dev/data/cPanel,hda,w","file:/data/storage/CentOS-5.1-x86_64-bin-1of7.iso,ioemu:hdc:cdrom,r"
>
> >> ]
> >> disk = [ "phy:/dev/data/cPanel,hda,w" ]
> >> vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:4e:9b:48,bridge=xenbr0,type=ioemu" ]
> >> serial = "pty"
> >> usb = 1
> >> usbdevice = 'tablet'
> >>

> >> When I try and connect to it via console, I get the following:
> >> [root@pc-00059 ~]# xm console cPanel
> >> xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory
> >> [root@pc-00059 ~]#
> >>

> >> Reading through all the email archives, I found a few similar
> >> problems, but the suggested fixes doesn't help. Does anyone know how
> >> to get xm console to work for HVM type domU's ?
> >>

> mmm, now that I think of it. I setup fully virtualized hosts, not HVM -
> my bad.....
>
> --

ok, so I had the right words :)

as far as I understand, HVM is the only way to get Windows, or rather
unmodified OS',  installed onto Linux, right? Or is there another way? I
setup Windows like this, and simply copied the Windows HMV
(/etc/xen/windows2003) to a new one for Linux (/etc/xen/cPanel) and
installed Linux onto it.

Should I rather have used a non-virtualized (is this referred to as
paravirtualized ?) installation? But would I then be able to install say
Ubuntu onto CentOS as a PV? Doesn't Ubuntu use a different kernel than
the Red Hat family (Red Hat, Fedora Core, CentOS)?

--

No, no reason why I want to run CentOS unmodified. It was just easy to setup :) I copied the one HVM config file to a new one and it was up. So I guess I'll setup a new paravirtualized centos then :)

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com