Re: [Xen-users] Host/guest clipboard?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Kris Adler" <spurfan15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:18:43 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:19:15 -0700

Thanks for the reply Jim. I guess it is possible (if necessary) to run a separate vnc server or other remote desktop tool on a guest OS. However, I would really prefer, if possible, to connect to the built-in dom0 ip VNC (I'm using Xen-3.1.2-2.fc8 and libvirt-0.4.2-1.fc8 -- I remember reading that qemu-dm is the newer of the techniques, so I assume that's what mine is using. But I don't know). Does the dom0 VNC just not support clipboard passing, and not have _any_ way of changing this setting to allow it? If there is a way to get this working, I would really an explanation of what I need to do.

Regards,

Kris

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 3:21 AM, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday June 17 2008 05:59:08 pm Kris Adler wrote:
> I'm trying to get copy/paste/cut working between my Xen host (FC8 64) and
> guest OSs (Centos 5.1, Windows 2000). I've tried the viewer in
> virt-manager, virt-viewer, and vncviewer. None of them seem to transfer
> clipboard contents between host and guest, even with both clipboard
> checkboxes selected in vncviewer options. Does anyone know how to get this
> working? Thanks.

Clipboard depends on the server you are connecting to. vncviewer from tightvnc
passes the clipboard very well if you are using tightvnc server on the guest,
instead of connecting to the dom0 ip (based on qemu-dm or xen-vncfb). For hvm
domus, this can be very slow, However, for Windows, rdesktop is very good at
passing the clipboard (among other things).