Re: [Xen-users] Host/guest clipboard?

On Wednesday June 18 2008 12:18:43 pm Kris Adler wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Jim. I guess it is possible (if necessary) to run a
> separate vnc server or other remote desktop tool on a guest OS. However, I
> would really prefer, if possible, to connect to the built-in dom0 ip VNC

I would too; it tends to be more responsive than a vnc server on the guest
(especially for hvm), and you don't have to fool with 10 different command
line options. Qemu-dm usually just gets it right.

> (I'm using Xen-3.1.2-2.fc8 and libvirt-0.4.2-1.fc8 -- I remember reading
> that qemu-dm is the newer of the techniques, so I assume that's what mine
> is using.

Correct.

> But I don't know). Does the dom0 VNC just not support clipboard
> passing, and not have _any_ way of changing this setting to allow it? If
> there is a way to get this working, I would really an explanation of what I
> need to do.

And then that's the downside of qemu-dm - there are no options :-( Vino had
the same problem. I seem to remember that kde's krdc (client) and krdb
(server) do support the clipboard, as well as tightvnc.

What I do, since I only need to copy & paste urls (which I'm guaranteed to
mistype), is exit vnc to qemu-dm, connect tightvnc to the guest's tightvnc
server, copy to the clipboard, and go back to vnc to qemu-dm if that is
preferable. Since tightvnc server supports shared connections, it may not
even be necessary to exit the qemu-dm connection. The other alternative is to
paste to a file, and xfer the file via samba, nfs, etc. You get used to
it.  :-)