Re: [Xen-users] VNC console access in paravirtualized domUs

  • To: "Mike Lovell" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ray Barnes" <tical.net@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 03:54:06 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 00:54:37 -0700

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Mike Lovell <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have seen this problem on a setup that I did with debian etch. Unfortunately, I didn't spend enough time with it to see if this is a solution since I didn't need a graphical console anyways.
Are you using the xen kernel that is available in the debian etch repositories? If so, that might be your problem. The kernel there (2.6.18-4-xen-686) is one that was build with xen 3.0.3 which did not have the vfb capabilities. The 3.0.4 release did. So the kernel doesn't have a way to do a graphical console. I would try building the linux kernel with the 3.2.0 patch set and using that for the domu. (http://bits.xensource.com/oss-xen/release/3.2.0/linux-2.6.18-xen-3.2.0.tar.gz). I started to try that on my set up but didn't have enough time to fully explore the possibility.
I might be completely off on this since I am definitely not a xen expert but it seems like a logical explanation.

Mike

Per my last post in this thread, I came to the same conclusion you did (that Etch wouldn't have the framebuffer stuff in the kernel) so I subsequently tried Lenny and Sid.  I found that the modules for something called "vfb" in Sid, but they won't load.  Adding "video=xenfb" to the kernel parameters is of none effect either; I still get "XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vfb/0" in the kernel messages (and no /dev/fb0 either).  Ubuntu Hardy is a little different story.  It generates the /dev/fb0 and seems to act right, it just won't send anything to VNC.  Even with "console=xvc console=tty" in the kernel args, I get a black VNC screen that's sized appropriately, but no text.  Still trying to ascertain what, if anything, this has to do with Xorg.

I'm hoping someone will fix this; it sure would be nice to have.

-Ray