Re: [Xen-users] VNC console access in paravirtualized domUs

Ray Barnes wrote:
Hi all.  In my CentOS 5.1 domUs, I add the following to the config file:

vfb = [ 'type=vnc,vnclisten=0.0.0.0,vncdisplay=1,vncpasswd=somepass' ]

at which point console output will default to vnc (assuming I remove
the "console=xvc0" argument from the kernel line in grub).  To enable
interactive logon I'd just add another line into /etc/inittab for the
vnc console.  On Debian Etch (2.6.18-4-xen-686) I'm trying to
accomplish the same thing but without any success.  When I launch the
domU and hit the VNC server, it simply says "parallel0 console" but
does not output anything else.  I've tried poking around in /dev and
it does not appear that the vfb gets a separate device as it would
under CentOS.  Google is also not very helpful in this regard, the
only thing remotely relevant (which doesn't solve my problem) is
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2008-04/msg00686.html.
 dom0 is Cent 5.1 with Xen 3.2.1 compiled from source.

Any idea what I should be doing to get debian to work?  And on a
related note, Ubuntu 7.10 appears to do what I want by default (I
haven't tested it yet - I gather that from google), but is there
anything I should know about for Ubuntu 7.04?

-Ray
I have seen this problem on a setup that I did with debian etch. Unfortunately, I didn't spend enough time with it to see if this is a solution since I didn't need a graphical console anyways. Are you using the xen kernel that is available in the debian etch repositories? If so, that might be your problem. The kernel there (2.6.18-4-xen-686) is one that was build with xen 3.0.3 which did not have the vfb capabilities. The 3.0.4 release did. So the kernel doesn't have a way to do a graphical console. I would try building the linux kernel with the 3.2.0 patch set and using that for the domu. (http://bits.xensource.com/oss-xen/release/3.2.0/linux-2.6.18-xen-3.2.0.tar.gz). I started to try that on my set up but didn't have enough time to fully explore the possibility. I might be completely off on this since I am definitely not a xen expert but it seems like a logical explanation.

Mike