Re: [Xen-users] VNC console access in paravirtualized domUs

On Saturday June 07 2008 02:35:42 pm Ray Barnes wrote:
> I found http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=398056 which
> purports that the framebuffer simply doesn't work under kernel
> versions prior to 2.6.25-1 under Debian (granted the platform is k7

Can't speak to Debian, so I may be at the limit to what I can recommend based
on what Fedora does. Sorry my xorg.conf didn't help.

> not 686, but I assumed that to be true on 686 for the moment since I
> have no desire to weed through endless changelogs).  So I upgraded
> Lenny to Sid which has 2.6.25-2, figuring it wouldn't hurt (hopefully)
> to have the newer kernel.  What I found is there's still no generation
> of /dev/fb0.  If I 'insmod vfb.ko' (not sure if that's appropriate or
> not), I get "-1 No such device or address" returned.  All of vfb.ko's
> module dependencies are loading fine.  I can also 'insmod vga16fb.ko'
> which works and outputs:

Understand, fbdev is an Xorg module, not a kernel module. The output
of 'lsmod | grep fb' on both my F8 dom0 and my F9 domu is (null) - ie: no
modules loaded with 'fb' in them. Also, F8's dom0 is based on 2.6.21, further
underscoring the kernel version has nothing to do with this. It might very
well be a newer Xorg is required. My F9 domu fbdev comes from
xorg-x11-drv-fbdev-0.3.1-7.fc9.i386.rpm. Back when this domu was F8, it was
xorg-x11-drv-fbdev-0.3.1-4.fc8. This is generally Xorg 7.2/7.3 with
xorg-x11-server-Xorg 1.3 (F8) or 1.4 (F9). I believe I remember you saying
your domu was CentOS, which probably means an older Xorg. I've never
installed a CentOS domu.

Sorry, but I'm probably not going to be much help now :-(