Re: [Xen-users] transparant (secure) bridge

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 18. Juni 2008 23:56 schrieb Michael Kershaw:
> What you've described here, is what I'm working on right now.  I've
> setup my dom0 with two nics bonded as bond0.  I'm going to be running
> say 3 or 4 vm's on this host that will each have their own static
> ip's.  I just haven't figured out how to make it all work as far as
> the vm's networking is concerned.  Do you recall the steps that you
> performed to make your setup work?

yes. First, you need to make the bond interface as active passive, otherwise
it will conflict with the bridge:
  modprobe bonding mode=1 miimon=100
I put this in /etc/modules:
  bonding mode=1 miimon=100
On my Debian machines I setup the network with /etc/network/interfaces:
  auto bond0
  iface bond0 inet manual
        pre-up ifconfig bond0 up
        pre-up ifenslave bond0 eth2 eth3
        pre-down ifenslave -d bond0 eth2 eth3
As you see I use eth2 and eth3 as network interfaces for bonding. I also use
vlans on top of the bonding, so i setup my xenbr0 in /etc/network/interfaces
for vlan 2 as follows:
  auto xenbr0
  iface xenbr0 inet manual
        vlan-raw-device bond0
        bridge_ports bond0.2
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge_stp off
        post-up ip link set xenbr0 arp off
        post-up ip link set xenbr0 multicast off
Other bridges with vlans can be made in /etc/network/interfaces. Here a
example with vlan 3:
  auto xenbr3
  iface xenbr3 inet manual
        vlan-raw-device bond0
        bridge_ports bond0.3
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge_stp off
        post-up ip link set xenbr3 arp off
        post-up ip link set xenbr3 multicast off

If you don't want to (or can't) use vlans you can use:
  auto xenbr0
  iface xenbr0 inet manual
        bridge_ports bond0
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge_stp off
        post-up ip link set xenbr0 arp off
        post-up ip link set xenbr0 multicast off

For the bridge I use no spanning tree protocol and my forward delay is 0.
Because there are no ip adressses on my bridge I don't need arp and multicast
on this interface.

With this setup i can use xenbr0 or xenbr3 as bridge targets in my domU xen
configurations. Be sure that no xen script is trying to make any bridge for
you! For this I set
  (network-script network-dummy)
in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp .
On the other side of your real network interfaces you need a router with a ip.
This ip will be your default gateway for the domUs. In my setup i have a
Firewall-Cluster for this, otherwise bonding will be really needless.

PS: I'm using Debian 4.0 for this setup without any specials.

--
greetings

eMHa