[Xen-users] FreeBSD + Xen 3.2.1 + HVM assorted problems

Hello,

I'm having a few different problems with this combination and I'm tearing my hair out... I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas.

First of all, here is my Xen config file:

name = "Dorian"
uuid = "02becdfa-d85c-50e3-343a-ef87767f5018"
maxmem = 1024
memory = 1024
vcpus=2
builder = "hvm"
boot = "d"
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
pae = 0
acpi = 0
#apic = 1
localtime = 1
on_poweroff = "destroy"
on_reboot = "destroy"
on_crash = "destroy"
device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
#sdl = 0
vnc = 1
vncviewer = 1
#vncunused = 0
#vncconsole = 1
vncdisplay=1
vnclisten="127.0.0.1"
#nographic=1
disk = [ "file:/vmimages/Dorianold.img,hda,w", "file:/vmimages/7.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso,hdc:cdrom,r" ]
vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:7a:a3:48,bridge=xenbr0" ]
#serial = "pty"

1) First of all, I'm not able to get a console to appear either by doing:

xm create -c Dorian

or

xm console Dorian

The only way I'm able to get a console is via VNC. I've played around with various config options and have managed to get:

xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory

My qemu log shows:

I/O request not ready: 0, ptr: 0, port: 0, data: 0, count: 0, size: 0
I/O request not ready: 0, ptr: 0, port: 0, data: 0, count: 0, size: 0

2) Looking at the startup of the FreeBSD kernel I see a couple of APIC errors. I don't know if these are actually causing any problems, but I get kernel panics if I start with apic on in my Xen config file. I'd include these errors, but they fly by too quickly. However, FreeBSD does proceed past this point...

3) Whether I startup with a disk image I created in KVM or off the FreeBSD CD, I'm not able to see my disks. If I boot off the CD I get:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0

and off my disk image it just asks me for a disk to boot off of once the kernel has been loaded. I don't understand why it sees the kernel but not my other slices.

To get this far, I installed Xen via an RPM that included the "vmxassist=no" necessary to work on my 64 bit Intel CPU.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians