[Xen-users] Vanishing memory? Whats going on?

Hello everyone, i just installed xen on standard debian etch server. 4gb ram,
Q6600 machine. I am running two hvm guests, one windows 2k3, the other
debian etch, both with 512mb ram allocated. What i dont understand is that
when i start a guest OS the amount of total ram known to the host machine
seems to vanish? Free -m and top both report that with both guests running i
only have 2.9gb of total system memory. If i attempt to start a third guest,
hvm xubuntu, with 512mb of ram allocated to it i get the error "Error: (12,
'Cannot allocate memory')" Please forgive me for such a trivial question,
but i have searched these forums and google to the best of my ability and i
keep coming up blank :(