[Xen-users] Migration Questions

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Dingwall" <james.dingwall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 14:17:00 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 06:17:36 -0700

Hi,

I have two similar machines that I am running Xen on and I'm interested
on how I migrate virtual machines.  The main difference is that the two
machines have different numbers of network interfaces and the names of
the bridges are different.  Storage for the guests is on iSCSI with the
targets connected in dom0.  Questions are:

 1) When I migrate the machine how does Xen know which block devices it
should connect on the destination?  Does it just search for matching
UUIDs or does it use device names or ...?  Do the devices have to be
identically named on both sides?

 2) Similarly, does the network bridge need to have the same name on
both sides or is there some other logic which determines how the virtual
interfaces get connected?

 3) Any differences between moving a para and fully virtualised domU?
I'm not use pci = [] anywhere.

Thanks,
James