Re: [Xen-users] Can't install Windows 2003 on SLES10SP1

James Pifer schrieb:
By the way, don't use sparse files if you don't have to.

Why not use sparse files?

Looked like SLES 10 SP1 as the dom0 OS, and the version of Xen there
would be 3.1 I believe (or maybe a 3.0.x variant). SLES 10 SP2 has Xen
3.2.

Yes, SLES 10 SP1. xen version is actually 3.0.4.

The format should complete and then the initial file copy for Windows
begin (enough to set up the actual graphical part of the Windows
installation). Are you saying you consistently don't get this initial
file copy to occur? Is it an unexpected reboot of domU, or are you
prompted to do it?

Correct, at the point it should start copying files the domU reboots, by
itself.

In addition to not using sparse files (again shouldn't really affect
things too much) I'd also suggest setting dom0 memory to a low value.
What's the overall RAM in the system? setting dom0 down to 512M should
be fine: xm mem-set domain0 512 for example...

I do have memory restricted for dom0 on my production servers, which
have anywhere from 8 to 16 gig of RAM. I have not limited on this
machine yet, which has 4 gig of ram.
I have also tried using an ISO for the install instead of the CD and it
does the exact same thing.
I could install SP2 and see if that makes a difference. Anyone know the
commands to create a sparse file pre-formatted to ntfs using dd? Time to
google I guess.
Thanks,
James

__________ Hinweis von ESET NOD32 Antivirus, Signaturdatenbank-Version 3268
(20080715) __________

E-Mail wurde geprüft mit ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

#I could install SP2 and see if that makes a difference. Anyone know the
#commands to create a sparse file pre-formatted to ntfs using dd? Time to
#google I guess.

Hi James,

I don't think it's possible to format a sparse file natively with ntfs under linux.
But maybe I'm wrong.

But if you think this helps,
I can send you a ntfs fomatted sparse file.
Just let me know the size.

Regards,

Alex