[Xen-users] Migration from a regular system to Xen

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Antoine Benkemoun" <antoine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:12:20 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 04:13:07 -0700

Hello,

Now that I finally have been able to get Xen running in a pre-production environment and soon in a production environment. I am looking to extend my use of Xen.

To set the background, I work for a French hosting company and in our office we have a shelf full of old and crappy servers that are just rotting away. The health and reliability of the machines are becoming pretty doubtful. What we would like to do is throw all these old machines in the trash and replace them with a single server running Xen.

The thing is that it would take absolutly forever to reinstall the machines since they all have really old and obscure technologies (I found some Cold Fusion 4). What we would like to do is migrate them to Xen but without reinstalling them...

Is this possible ?

Having a machine with a bunch of disks is viable but making disks images would be the best option.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Antoine

--
Antoine Benkemoun