RE: [Xen-users] The death of XEN by Novell

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 00:28 -0400, Venefax wrote:
> The Novell engineer showed me, and it has been confirmed in this list, that
> Windows with more than one virtual CPU crashes. An crashing it did. I woke
> up with angry calls from customers and when I logged in, all my 3 Windows
> VM's (two windows 2008 Datacenter with 32 GB and 8 VCPU and one Windows 2003
> Enterprise with 16 GB and 8 VCPU's)  were in blue screen. The memory dump
> process was stuck I guess because since the hard drives use the Novell
> para-virtualized drivers, then at a blue-screen time you cannot collect any
> memory dump. But the fact is that the engineer showed me that advisory note
> in the Novell web site, saying I had been wasting my time, and now I am
> buying a second $15.000 box to relocate my three windows VMÂs. This is joke.

While your original design did provide isolation, using only one machine
does introduce a single point of failure.

For around another .... $1000 (give or take, good deals can be found)
you can get 2 10G ethernet cards to give you the ultra low latency
between your physical servers. The people on this list and the Xen
developers can not be held reasonably accountable for the cost of doing
business any more than they can be held accountable for the weather.
Life is what happens while your making other plans.

I would suggest that moving the SQL servers to their own home should
have been part of the original design, regardless of the underlying
operating system or method of virtualization.

Its not Xen's fault that your design did not work as you planned. Xen
does what Xen does as Xen evolves. Xen does not hide its bugs or
shortcomings, as the Novell engineer pointed out.

Many people come to this list and say:

"Here is my idea, here's how I hope to implement it, here's what I
expect it to do .. any suggestions?"

Upon such a message, some of the best engineers in the industry that
work with Xen daily offer helpful suggestions and point out potential
pitfalls. Many have gone way beyond just deploying Xen, many hack at Xen
daily to get it to do what they need it to do. I don't remember you
sending such a message, perhaps I missed it?

I do understand your frustration, don't get me wrong .. but I really
feel as though you might be alienating a valuable future resource.

Regards,
--Tim