Re: [Xen-users] Unable to hot-add disk to Win2K3 HVM withGPLPV drivers

On 04/07/2008 02:18, James Harper wrote:

So all in all, pre-5 looks like a good candidate for 0.9.11 proper :-)

It would have been, except that save/restore doesn't work now.

Hmm, hot adding a disk worked when I upgraded to 0.9.11-pre5 but now seems to fail again with 0.9.11-pre9

Existing domU has LVM for hard disk as hda and iso for cdrom as hdc, I created a new LV

# lvcreate --name win2k3data --size 4G vgmirror

Tried adding with

# virsh attach-disk win2k3 /dev/vgmirror/win2k3data hdb --driver phy

or

# virsh attach-disk win2k3 /dev/vgmirror/win2k3data xvdb --driver phy

In each case the XenVbd driver gave an event log entry

"Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for \Device\Scsi\XenVbd3"

So I shutdown the domain, added the extra disk to the .xml config, undefined and re-defined the domU and restarted it.

    <disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='phy'/>
      <source dev='/dev/vgmirror/win2k3sys'/>
      <target dev='hda'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='phy'/>
      <source dev='/dev/vgmirror/win2k3data'/>
      <target dev='hdb'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='file'/>
      <source file='/root/w2k3r2_cd1.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdc'/>
      <readonly/>
    </disk>

The XenVbd driver still gives the same error for the hdb device, it shows up differently in device manager, similar to before

http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/xendisks.png