Re: [Xen-users] DomU Fails when network load is high

Chris Holland wrote:
Hello,

I am using Gentoo 2008.1 with Xen 3.2.1
I am having an unusual problem with a DomU, it is setup as a router. The DomU is connected to 2 NICs, one of which is connected to the outside and the other to the internal network. When I pass a large amount of data through this DomU like a large torrent download for example, the DomU simply dies with no errors or any indication. It just fails and I have to
re-create the vm.
If any more info is needed please let me know and I will provide it.

I've seen problems with high network load and simultaneous high I/O load on the disk. This was affecting drbd replication very badly.

The solution I found was to use the 'rate' parameter on the VIF eg:

vif = [ "rate=20MB/s,mac=00:16:3e:00:01:02, bridge=xenbr2",
        "rate=20MB/s,mac=00:16:3e:00:00:02 ,bridge=xenbr0" ]

no other tuning gave any improvement, from disabling tcpchecksum offloading to all manner of sysctl tweaking.