Re: [Xen-users] How to not use ioemu for HVM?

Maxime Pierron wrote:
You need to enter type=netfront

Yes, that works. Thanks.

How do you have builded the unmodified_drivers PV drivers and for which OS ? I can't get them to work... If you have an example, let me know... thx

I used the drivers which are in the unmodified_drivers directory of the Xen-3.2.1 release. They can be compiled for a Linux 2.6.18 kernel. If you want to do so you need the 2.6.18 xen-kernel and the kernel headers of your 2.6.18 kernel.

To compile the drivers you need to go into the unmodified_drivers/linux-2.6 subdirectory and run:
  XL=/path/to/xen/kernel ./mkbuildtree
  make -C /path/to/your/kernel/source M=$PWD modules

This results creates the follwing modules which you can then load in your HVM:
./platform-pci/xen-platform-pci.ko
./balloon/xen-balloon.ko
./blkfront/xen-vbd.ko
./netfront/xen-vnif.ko
./netfront-vanilla/xen-vnif.ko

Since the 2.6.18 kernel is quite old I forward-ported the unmodified_drivers so they can be compiled for all kernels up to 2.6.25, although I didn't quite manage the step to 2.6.24. In that version and onwards I only get 300Mb/s network throughput from domU to dom0. It's > 1Gb in versions prior to 2.6.24. Let me know if you are interested in the patches.

Birger