Re: [Xen-users] Xensource VM in Xen

  • To: "Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:14:46 -0400
  • Cc: Nicod <nicolas.daneau@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 20:15:49 -0700

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>We are currently using XenSource Express with 3 VM. As we need more domU
>>(limited on 4 on XenSource Express) and as we need PCI passtrought (Asterisk
>>FXO/S pci card) we plan to "migrate" to a "pure" Xen. The question is: can
>>we can reuse the VM build in XenSource without any change??? I didn't found
>>anything in wiki or faq regarding this point...
>
> Recent thread one this, I believe you can, just uninstall the tools first.
> Given that xensource uses lvm, you may be able to export the raw disc image
> out of lvm into a file for use on the xen server or even back into an lv.

The volume group on the second partition of a logical volume is tricky
to handle, but definitely doable (as mentioned earlier).

Quick HOWTO

Find the UUID of your vdi

lvchange -a y /dev/<PV Name>-<sr-uuid>/LV-<vdi UUID>

kpartx -av /dev/<PV Name>-<sr-uuid>/LV-<vdi UUID>

now, /dev/mapper will contain two partitions, the first is the boot
partition of the guest
and the second is a LVM partition that has a VG in it.

if you need the boot partition, then simply mount

/dev/mapper/<PV Name>-<sr-uuid>/LV-<vdi UUID>p1

For the VG, simply do a vgscan to make it available.
(usually VogGroup00)

Then you can lvscan and lvchange -a y the root file system
(usually LogVol00)

then just mount the LogVol00 to get the data off.

This is the rough idea, if noone posts a real HOWTO before I get a
chance to then I
can clean up the one I have been working on and post that.

> As for the Asterisk idea, my experience so far is that it sort of works, but
> not reliably enough for production, and I tried for a while. Don't do it...

Out of curiosity, what is the problem with Asterisk running on Xen?

Cheers,
Todd

> jlc

Todd Deshane