RE: [Xen-users] dom0 and domU shutdown behavior

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Dustin Henning" <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:15:48 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:16:29 -0700

        I always use /etc/xen/auto, so that is the equivalent of an xm
create or xm restore at bootup (depending on whether or not there was a save
at shutdown).  At shutdown, it is like an xm save or xm shutdown depending
on the config elsewhere.  Mine shuts down because of how I have xendomains
configured (excerpt from /etc/sysconfig/xendomains in my case):

## Type: string
## Default: /var/lib/xen/save
#
# Directory to save running domains to when the system (dom0) is
# shut down. Will also be used to restore domains from if #
XENDOMAINS_RESTORE
# is set (see below). Leave empty to disable domain saving on shutdown
# (e.g. because you rather shut domains down).
# If domain saving does succeed, SHUTDOWN will not be executed.
#
XENDOMAINS_SAVE=""

There are several other settings that control how xendomains behaves in this
file, and they all have good explanations like the one above.  I don't know
where this file would be in a source installation.

It may be that xendomains will always save all domains on xendomains stop
and restore all domains on xendomains start (or at least restore any that it
saved), either way, this behavior shouldn't change between reboots, but it
will only create them if they are in /etc/xen/auto, " Starting auto Xen
domains: news(skip)" is where it would have created domU news if said domU
hadn't already been restored.  Hope this helps clear it up and get it set
how you want it,
        Dustin