Re: [Xen-users] DomU network configuration problem

  • To: shubham <shubham.sharma@xxxxxx>
  • From: Tej <bewith.tej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:11:00 +0530
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 00:41:40 -0700

On 8/7/08, shubham <shubham.sharma@xxxxxx> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I've got a SLES10 machine running Xen 3.0 with DomUs also running SLES10
>
>                  ---------------------------------
>                 |                 ____________    |
>    Gateway      | Dom0       _   | DomU-1     |   |
>    10.33.0.1    | 10.33.0.3 | |--|192.168.0.1 |   |
>         |       |           | |  |vifx.0      |   |
>       __^_      |     vif0.0| |   ------------    |
>      |    |     |           | |                   |
>      |    |     |           | |-- ... 192.168.0.x |
>      |____|     |-----      | |-- ...             |
>        |      |-|eth0 |      -                    |
>        |      |  ---------------------------------
>     ---------------------------
>     |        1G Ethernet      |
>     ---------------------------
>           _|__    |       |
>          |    |   ...     10.33.0.x
>          |____|
>        10.33.0.2
>

> All my boxes are running perfectly fine.
>
> I wanted to set up a private routed network within my virtual domains such
> that my DomUs can be pinged through the physical machines
>
> i have set the corresponding features in the xend-config.sxp file
>
> ----------------8<--------------
> (network-script network-route)
> (vif-script vif-route)
> ----------------8<--------------
>
> the vif attributes in my domU config file is
>
> ----------------8<-------------
> address 192.168.0.1
> gateway 192.168.0.12 ***
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> ----------------8<-------------
>
> ***i am not sure here that the gateway provided by me is correct or not.
>
> then i did the following steps to nat the domU's IP to the dom0 on mu dom0
>
> ----------------8<-------------
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/proxy_arp
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.0.0.0 -j MASQUERADE
> ----------------8<-------------

You can do following steps:

1. Assign any private IP to your DomU
2. Assign the subnet gateway to the domU, above vuf configuration is
fine i guess.

3. Now as dom0 is on different subnet, create the eth0 (i assume here
that eth0 domU and eth0 of dom0 is connected to xenbr0 ) alias as a
gateway for domU.
    In dom0:
    ifconfig eth0 add domU-gateway netmask.
4. Now that gateway should be pingable
5. Now add the forwarding rules
    echo 1 >/procsys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
   Now you should be able to ping the eth0 on dom0.
6. Add the masq rule as above.
   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE (use the eth0 address)
7. Now you should be able to ping google.com

HTH

-tej