RE: [Xen-users] drivers to run windows as HVM guest

> Hi,
>
> I've made a copy of the harddisks of a Windows XP Pro. machine and now
I'm
> trying to get this image running within Xen, but now I got stuck a
little
> bit.
>
> The Xen dom0 is a SLES10SP2, running Xen 3.2.0.
>
> I used the virt-manager to create the virtual machine, however due to
> changed hardware, the boot process of the hvm domU ends up in a BSOD.
> I found the WindowsPV GPL drivers version 0.8.9, where I copied the
> windowsxp *inf files to C:\windows\inf and the corresponding *sys
files to
> c:\windows\system32\drivers. But I still get the BSOD when booting
> windows.
>
> Or do I need to reconfigure the xen configuration of the domU, to make
the
> PV drivers work?
>
> Otherwise I wonder, what hardware Xen emulates for a plain HVM guest,
so
> that I can install the right drivers from the Windows installation CD.
> So, which driver files belong into which place?
>
> Any hint or just a pointer to the right documentation is be very
> appreciated.

Try downloading 0.9.11-pre12 of the drivers which should be pretty
stable, with the exception of disabling and enabling the network drivers
(causes a crash sometimes - fixed in hg). You'll need to completely
uninstall 0.8.9 though as an upgrade really isn't supported. The wiki
has information on how to do this.

My testing has shown a huge increase in network performance vs the qemu
emulated drivers under 2003, but not so much under XP, although I'm
testing them on a different machine.

James