RE: [Xen-users] drivers to run windows as HVM guest

Hi,

"James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > However, I also installed XP Pro from scratch in Xen, and then
> installed
> > > the GPL PV drivers there. After the installer was done, windows
> detected
> > > the new hardware and installed the drivers.
> > Doh! I was too fast with saying so. At the end of the installation,
> the
> > installer said, there was an error, The device cannot be started (Code
> 10)
> > (freely translated from German)
> >

> When you don't have /GPLPV in your boot.ini file, the drivers will
> deliberately fail to load with that 'Code 10' error. The reason for this
> is that if qemu and gplpv both give windows access to the same
> underlying disk or disk image, you get the same results as if you
> mounted the same volume in two domains - eg complete corruption
>
> Maybe if you put /GPLPV in your boot.ini file as per the wiki
> documentation you might have some luck?
I overlooked the link to the other page, where its exactly described how and
where to add the /gplpv.

After adding the /gplpv and rebooting the box, the drivers were installed.

Now I go try and edit the boot.ini file on the image that I copied from the
physical box, and try copying the *sys and *inf files there too, hopefully
the BSOD will be gone then.

Are these driver installers doing more than just copying the *inf and *sys
files into the correct places? In case they do more, what would that be?

However, I also tried to activate shutdownmon, but this still fails:
ShutdownMon.exe -i
produces a popup window, with the following contents(freely translated from
German):
The application could not be initialized correctly (0x0000135).
Klick "OK" to close the application.

kind regards
Sebastian