Re: [Xen-users] RE: how to expand a xen image?

  • To: "henry ritzlmayr" <xen-list@xxxxxx>
  • From: Heiko <rupertt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 08:41:49 +0200
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 23:42:24 -0700

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 7:57 AM, henry ritzlmayr <xen-list@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 02.09.2008, 11:12 -0400 schrieb Dustin Henning:
>>       I'm not especially familiar with dd, but couldn't it be used for
>> this?  It seems I recall something about skipping blocks before writing, so
>> if you skip enough blocks to go to the end of the file and then write enough
>> blocks to extend it as much as you want, wouldn't this make the single disk
>> that much bigger the next time it is mounted to a domU?  Obviously it would
>> be wise to back-up the image first, and this would probably be an offline
>> operation, but it seems to me it might be better (or at least easier to
>> manage) than having two physical volumes (unless you want to use two real
>> disks or something).
>>       Dustin
>
> If you like it within one file:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero bs=1G count=5 >> imagefile
>
> adds five gigs to your imagefile.

Hello,

I did it a couple of time the following way:

shut down the VM,

dd if=/dev/zero of=/VM/myxen_back_grow.img bs=1M conv=notrunc
count=5000 seek=10240
count is the size that you wanna add(here 5GB more)

losetup /dev/loop4 /VM/myxen_back.img
kpartx -av /dev/loop4 (do I really need this in the first run? you
could use it to mount the partition and backup data or something)

fdisk /dev/loop4
now delete the old partition and create a new one, fill it up the whole space.
save

than remove the kpartx with "kpartx -d /dev/loop4", also delete the
loopback "losetup -d /dev/loop4"

and remap the loopback and kpartx like in the beginning.

now you can/should do a "e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/loop4p1" after that
do a "resize2fs /dev/mapper/loop4p1" and check the partition again.

now delete the kpartx and loopback and boot into the VM, it should now
be bigger.

greetings