[Xen-users] /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, are they executed in xen startup

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Steven Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 12:07:43 -0500 (CDT)
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 10:12:38 -0700

I have a few Xen domu's that run multiple ip's on the same bridge.

For example

root@fg4x2 network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0
# Intel Corporation 82541GI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=131.225.107.255
HWADDR=00:16:3E:05:04:02
IPADDR=131.225.107.112
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=131.225.107.0
ONBOOT=yes

root@fg4x2 network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0:160
DEVICE=eth0:160
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=131.225.107.255
IPADDR=131.225.107.160
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=131.225.107.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

On this particular domU, the 131.225.107.160 ip is not
activated at boot, even though onboot=yes.
(This domU is based on Sci. Linux 5.1 which is like redhat and centos).

On another different domU, I have a case where an
extra ip is activated at boot, even though I specify onboot=no.
That domU is based on Sci. Linux 4.x which is like redhat and centos).

My questions:
1) What is it in the startup of a domU xen OS that determines which
parts of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts are executed and which are not?
Obviously the machine has some ip from the beginning well before
you get to the /etc/rc.d/rc3.d scriptgs.

2) What is it within the xen startup which causes the files
ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1 to be renamed to ifcfg-eth0.bak and
ifcfg-eth1.bak sometimes?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Steve Timm