RE: [Xen-users] Unable to ping guest hostname

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Stephen Liu <satimis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:34:38 +0800 (CST)
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:35:17 -0700

--- Dustin Henning <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>       I really don't know, but perhaps they are in the xenstore I see
> mentioned every so often (maybe xm new can put them in there where xm
> create
> doesn't, I don't know).  In this case, according to another ticket
> that may
> be wrong, xm delete should remove them.  If it doesn't, you might try
> xm
> shutdown before xm delete (or do they disappear when you do xm
> shutdown?).
> Did you install them using virt-install?  Perhaps some command from
> the same
> package as virt-install would remove them in that case.  These are
> stabs in
> the dark, but perhaps one of them will get you where you're looking
> to go.

Hi Dustin,

I solved my problem already.

Before switching off the PC OR rebooting PC all running Guests must be
stopped with;

# xm shutdown xen1...
# xm shutdown xen2...
etc.

If without running above step on next boot/reboot all previous running
Guest will be started automatically.  It is NOT necessary creating a
symbolic link;

# ln -s /etc/xen/xen1.example.com.cfg /etc/xen/auto
etc.

to start the Guests at boot.

I have 4 Guests created on the PC, xen1, xen2, xen3 and xen4.  xen1 and
xen2 were built with "xen-create-image".  xen3 was cloned on xen2 after
its creation.  xen4 was also cloned on xen2 but after building a mail
server on it.  All of them are working and can be ssh-connected on IP
and hostname except xen4 which can be ssh-connected on IP but NOT on
domain, complaining domain not found.  I don't know its cause.  I'll
leave it for the time being.  The problem, I suppose, is caused by
cloning a running mail server.

Are you aware is there a Xen command to update and upgrade globally,
i.e. running the Xen command on Host will automatically update/upgrade
guests of same Linux distro, similar to "vapt-get" on "Vserser".
Thanks

B.R.
Stephen L