Re: [Xen-users] Question about kernels in Xen

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 11:51 -0400, Isaac Wagner wrote:
> I have a few questions about kernels in Xen.
>
> 1. Is it possible to use different kernel versions for dom0 and domU?
> My needs are very specific: the host needs to have the xen dom0 2.6.18
> kernel and the guests need the 2.6.23 kernel.
>
> 2. Does anyone know how to create a kernel image from the 2.6.23.9
> kernel that will successfully boot a domU guest?  The problem I am
> having is that the compile creates a bzImage, but that is unusable as
> Xen needs a zImage kernel.  Is there any way to get my kernel to work
> as a Xen guest?

This should help you:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Kernel.org_Linux_on_Xen

You can use any 2.6.23+ kernel.org kernel as a dom-u kernel. I highly
recommend making ext3 (or whatever file system your using) static in the
dom-u kernel so that you can avoid the hassle of an initrd. Matter of
preference, I guess.

Mine are configured with just the virtio drivers, a few file systems,
and full iptables support.

Cheers,
--Tim