Re: [Xen-users] major slow down with xen implementation

  • To: Geoffrey <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Grant McWilliams" <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:34:29 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:35:10 -0700

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Geoffrey <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We have some fairly robust hardware we are trying to set up a number of para-virtual servers in a clustered environment and we are seeing huge cpu issues.  Specs:

Dell 1950: 8 1u servers
cpu MHz : 2660.038
dual quad cores
32G memory each

Our first virual server was configured to use 8G and 4 cores.

I tried running a quick test by compiling our application, simply running 'time make.'  The results were terrible:

real    0m56.79s
user    0m26.53s
sys     0m35.46s

In comparison, my laptop (Intel Core2 Duo CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2G mem):

real    0m42.99s
user    0m29.85s
sys     0m6.47s

We then reconfigured the virtual server to use a single core and the results were almost identical to the 4 core test.

Any insights as to what our problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

 - Benjamin Franklin

Wouldn't you have to do make -j 4 to use 4 cores?  It looks like on the laptop you're using one 2.5 Ghz core and on the Xen VM you're using one 2.66 Ghz core.

--
Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.