Re: AW: [Xen-users] xm save fails on OCFS2

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry I didn't provide more details, but, yes, these are HVM domains.  I use PV domains whenever possible, but in the case of Windows XP, that isn't possible, so I have to use HVM.  I haven't tried suspending to OCFS2 with a PV domain, but I may give that a shot.  Still, I think it's strange that it works perfectly fine to my ext3 and reiser filesystems, but fails on OCFS2.

-Nick

>>> On 2008/09/29 at 04:44, "Steffen Heil" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

> I'm currently running a set of SLES10 SP2 servers that share common
storage using OCFS2.  The VMs run fine, although sometimes it seems that the
disk files don't close out correctly and I end up with loop devices that
won't detach correctly.  The bigger issue, though, is that if I try to do an
"xm save" on a domain and put the file onto the OCFS2 volume, the save fails
after a couple of seconds and a few bytes of data.  If I save the file to
the local filesystem (ext3 or rieser) it works fine, but a save to the OCFS2
volume doesn't seem to work.  Also, once the xm save fails, the domain gets
into a weird state that an "xm restore" or "xm resume" or "xm unpause"
doesn't seem to help.  Then I have to reboot the physical server because the
qemu-dm process goes into a "defunct" state and won't close out and release
the file.  Unfortunately I didn't get log files the last time this happened,
but I'll try to capture that the next time I see the behavior.  In the
meantime, if anyone else has any ideas, I'd appreciate the input.

If you have a "qemu-dm"-process, you are propably using HVM domains. I think
this is a bad idea, because:
- SLES10 has support for PV-domains in it's kernel (AFAIK)
- PV is generally faster than HVM
- Suspend works reliable for PV-domains
- Depending on your very exact xen version, HVM don't work reliable with
suspending.

So, try a PV-setup, if possible.

Regards,
  Steffen

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information. In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox. Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.