Re: [Xen-users] How can I monitor each domU's bandwidth?

  • To: "Luke S Crawford" <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Rudi Ahlers" <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 09:03:27 +0200
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 00:04:09 -0700

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:24 PM, Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Rudi Ahlers" <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> I desperately need some help with this. We provide XEN VPS's to our
>> clients in a hosting environment, and I need to measure the bandwidth
>> usage per VPS, since we charge per MB / per GB for bandwidth.
>
> Me too.
>
>> Someone suggested Cacti, and it works well, but every now and then it
>> stops monitoring each VPS's bandwidth (for no apparent reason), and
>> then I need to recreate the VPS's interface in Cacti - but this often
>> means that we've lost a few days (and close to a few GB's) traffic.
>
> I had the same problem.
>
> There is a setting in cacti... you want a 're-index method' that will reindex
> the vifnames every reboot.  Essentially, every time you destroy/create
> the DomU, the interface is recreated.  Of course, you are setting the
> vifnames so that the names don't change, but the numeric SNMP IDs do,
> so you need to tell cacti to reindex the mapping from names to numeric
> ids often (or when domains are created or destroyed)

Ok,I think I found the setting, it's in the device options, and you
need to choose between:
- None
- Uptime goes Backward
- Index Count Changed
- Verify All Fields

So, which one should I use?
The funny thing is, that the virtual machines don't reboot, so I can't
see how the interface changes, there must be something else that
changes. The interface names are also hard coded for each virtual
machine, so even if it does reboot it still uses vifplut0, or
vifwise0, or vifkeith0, etc.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers