Re: [Xen-users] Problem with VT-d on Mainboard Intel DQ45CB

  • To: "Franz Regensburger" <Franz.Regensburger@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:10:51 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Axel Schöner <axel.schoener@xxxxxx>, jrh4u@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 17:11:36 -0700

Hi.

Some questions and comments inline.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:25 AM, Franz Regensburger
<Franz.Regensburger@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> this mail is related to a post by  Axel Schöner that I found at
>        http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/40621
> when I was searching the WEB about solutions to my problem.
>
> I would like to confirm that VT-d with XEN 3.3 kernel 2.6.18.8 on mainboard
> Intel DQ45CB seems to be broken.
>
> Survey (details are down below)
> ---------------------------------------
>
> Whenever I boot my Xen 2.6.18.8 (Xen 3.3) with kernel parameter iommu=1
> the boot process freezes.
>
> I see:
> (XEN) Intel VT-d has been enabled
> (XEN) HVM: VMX enabled
> (XEN) I/O virtualisation enabled
> (XEN) I/O virtualisation for PV guests disabled
> Here the boot process freezes

I am surprised it freezes here.

A serial console debug might be of help here see:
http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=serial%20console%20debugging#query:serial%20console%20debugging+page:1+mid:scjkellgexgofu6d+state:results

> Does anybody else suffer from the same problem (VT-d with Intel board DQ45CB)?
> Any suggestions about a solution?

This VT-d stuff is quite new and the Intel developers really need help
testing and debugging.

>From the VTdHowTo on the Xen wiki I see:

 kernel /boot/xen.gz com1=115200,8n1 console=com1 iommu=1
        module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen root=LABEL=/ ro xencons=ttyS
console=tty0 console=ttyS0, pciback.hide=(01:00.0)(03:00.0)
        module /boot/initrd-2.6.18-xen.img

There are some differences in the console's used with yours.

> title           Xen 3.3.0 / kernel 2.6.18.8-xen backhide the ATI Radeon
> root            (hd0,0)
> #kernel          /xen-3.3.0.gz console=vga noreboot max_loop=128
> dom0_mem=1024M iommu=1
> kernel          /xen-3.3.0.gz console=vga noreboot max_loop=128 dom0_mem=1024M
> module          /vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen root=/dev/mapper/RootVG-root ro
> console=tty0 pciback.hide=(01:00.0)(01:00.1)
> module          /initrd-2.6.18.8-xen.img
> savedefault

> Additional problem respectively disappointments with the board DB45CB
>
> Now, I just need to get rid of my frustrations. Of course, some or all of
> them might be caused by my
> personal lack of Linux or Xen experience ...
>
> - I am not able to configure the onboard GB ethernet adapter on Linux.
>  Even the e1000e driver

This works for me in Ubuntu (not Xen in my experience yet).

>    susi:/lib/modules/2.6.26-bpo.1-amd64/kernel/drivers/net/e1000e
>  of newer kernels does not seam to support that adapter.
>  As a fix I run addtional NICs in PCI and PCIe slots (inetl 1000 pro, various
> brands)
>  The onboard LAN is unused.
>

> - I am not able to get Xorg running with the onboard graphics adapter.
>  There is no support for the Q45 Chipset (at least not in the 2.6.18-6,
> 2.6.24 and of course not in the xen kernels)

I would try the latest Ubuntu --Intrepid is at RC now-- (even just the
liveCD here for testing)

> In summary I am rather disappointed by the board DB45CB as a platform for XEN.
>        - VT-d broken. No PCI backend hiding with HVM guest possible
>        - no onboard LAN on linux
>        - no remote management from linux
>        - no onboard graphics on linux
>        - PCIe x16 graphics with Xen kernel broken

Living on the cutting edge is like this sometimes, it will only get better.

> On the positive side I can state the following results:
>
> - Xen host without X11 (xorg) runs perfectly (especially fast).
> - I was able to configure and run a WinXP HVM guest (although without VT-d
> and PCI backend hiding)
>
> Is there someone out who can show me light at the end of the tunnel?

Here are my suggestions and things to watch for.

The Intel developers are quite good and responsive on xen-devel,
provided that you are willing to do
some testing/debugging and applying patches etc.

To get to the point where you can be helpful, you will need to get the
latest xen-unstable.

hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg
hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
cd xen-unstable
make world

Follow these again
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/VTdHowTo

Do you testing again and send a shorter, less verbose email to xen-devel.
Give the key results and the most descriptive and useful snippets of
the appropriate logs.

They will work likely work with you, especially since there are quite
a few others that
are running up against this problem and are also likely to help with testing.

The Light at the end of the tunnel on the Xen/Linux side of things
will happen as
the Xen dom0 gets into mainline. Progress on this seems to be going pretty well.
see:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
http://xenbits.xensource.com/paravirt_ops/patches.hg

Hope that gives you a better sense and gets the debugging process underway.

Best Regards,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane