[Xen-users] VNC access console of paravirtualised DomU

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:49:44 +0000 (GMT)
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 04:50:26 -0700

Hi,

I've seen this asked a few times, but I just can't work out whether I am misinterpreting how this is supposed to work, or if it is just broken in my setup.

What I want is to be able to see the character cell console of DomU's via VNC. As far as I understand, when I create/startup the DomU, then a vnc server should start listening on my Dom0. I have tried every combination of VNC=1, VNCVIEWER=0 in my config file but at no point do I get a VNC port being opened for listening on the Dom0. Dom0 is Hardy Heron, DomU's are Centos 5.2 and Hardy. All the Xen kernel and tools were as was provided by the repositories. When I was trying this a while ago with Centos 5.1 as the Dom0, I was using virtual machine manager which seemed to give me a colourful representation of the console/, which I assume now was over VNC. I haven't got that setup anymore to reference, alas and virtual-machine-manager seems broken on Hardy, afa I can tell.

So, am I missing something or is it supposed to work the way I described? If so, what should I have in my config files/sxp to make it work?

Thanks in advance and be gentle with me because I am a noob Xen user!

Ian.