Re: [Xen-users] Block level domU backup

On Tuesday 28 October 2008 04:04:39 pm Agent Rooker wrote:
> But if someone could make clear the dangers and pitfalls associated
> with this plan, that would be very helpful.

Yeah, pausing a domain does nothing to its disks from the domU's OS's point of
view.  A pause freezes everything in memory, but commits nothing that's in
domU's filesystem buffers and whatnot to disk -- the whole point is to not
disrupt the OS.  If you block-level back up a paused domain, the restored
filesystem will be corrupted.  Given your existing backup from within the
domU, I don't believe you're gaining anything here.

John

--
John Madden
Sr. UNIX Systems Engineer