Re: [Xen-users] poor performance xp SMP

  • To: "Iñigo Salvat" <tecnico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 21:47:22 +0000
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:48:00 -0800

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Iñigo Salvat <tecnico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am making some test with XEN 3.2 (SLES 10 SP2). I would like to install a
> SMP windows XP SP2.
>
> When I choose a "Standard PC" HAL (pressing F5 during the first step of
> installation) the DOMU has a very nice performance but ignore the second
> CPU.
> When I choose a Mono or Multi processor MPS HAL the DOMU recognize the two
> processors but goes so slowly that it is unusable.
> When I install a Mono or Multi processor ACPI HAL the DOMU recognize both
> processors but has a very bad general performance.
>
> Can any body help with the correct configuration? Will the GPLPV drivers
> help to improve the performance in the ACPI case?
>
> Thanks for your help

Do you have timer_mode=1 in your config file? I had some sort of
timer/clock issue when using smp on windows xp, 2003 etc, pinging
localhost would return incorrect times, perhaps the problem can affect
performance too.

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2008-09/msg00657.html

Andy