Re: [Xen-users] Network-bridge with VLAN

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Gael Reignier <gael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Javier Guerra wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Gael Reignier <gael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I managed to have a VLAN running on dom0 and they work well, I can ping
>>> other hosts in the same VLAN.
>>>
>>> But when I am trying to ping other hosts from my domU, it just does not
>>> work (From 10.10.2.12 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable)
>>
>> it seems you're adding the the VLAN device to the bridge; therefore
>> the DomU shouldn't use another layer of VLAN.  all the tagging should
>> be done on Dom0
>>
> Well actually, I tried both:
>
> - - I tried to do the tagging on Dom0 then not do any tagging on the DomU
>
> - - Then after reading more from a book called 'Xen Virtualization', I
> did the tagging on Dom0 and on DomU
>

> So maybe I should try not to do any tagging on the Dom0 and do all the
> tagging in the DomU.
> What do you reckon?

as always, it depends:

- tagging on Dom0:
   - have to plan and setup for all VLANs
   - DomUs don't care about VLANs, they simply get a NIC directly to the VLAN

- tagging on DomU:
  - Dom0 doesn't care about new VLANs.
  - DomUs can use watever VLAN they want
  - bridges can be picky with MTUs of 1504bytes

--
Javier