Re: [Xen-users] how to debug hardware lockups?

  • To: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Rudi Ahlers" <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:32:43 +0200
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 06:33:22 -0800

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:48 AM, James Harper
<james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a server which locks up about once a week (for the past 3
>> weeks now), without any warning, and the only way to recover it, is to
>> reset the server. This causes unwanted downtime, and often software
>> loss as well.
>>
>> How do I debug the server, which runs CentOS 5.2 to see why it locks
>> up? The CPU is an Intel Q9300 Core 2 Quad, with 8 GB RAM, on an Intel
>> Motherboard
>>

> Those last few lines before the server froze are going to be the last
> write it managed to commit to disk, which may not relate to the crash.
>
> If there is nothing useful on the screen, try setting up serial
> consoles... maybe one for xen and one for the linux kernel. That should
> capture the servers dying words, assuming there are any.
>
> James

Due to the fact that the server doesn't have a serial port, and is in
a shared cabinet in a 3rd party datacentre, I can't log the output to
another server, or to a monitor.

So, how do I capture everything to a log file instead?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers