Re: [Xen-users] disk backend performance

Hi Stefan,

Am Freitag, den 28.11.2008, 15:41 +0100 schrieb Stefan de Konink:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Thomas Halinka wrote:

> > > iSCSI + pvSCSI seems to be optimal I guess.
> >

> > iSCSI is pretty slow, because of all the tcp-ip overhead. Try AoE since
> > its Layer 2 (Ethernet)
>
> Please come with benchmarks,

i do not need any benchmarks. i measured that iscsi could saturate a
GB-Link with about 55-60% - AoE was about 80-85% at less CPU-Usage!

Why is FC faster than iSCSI? Ah, it s because of the protocol.

and why?
Because FC is layer2 like AoE
and iscsi is layer 3/4 - so much more protocol-overhead has to
processed.

>  and preferably stability comparisons.

open-iscsi has no stable releases yet. aoetools do have. There are also
many users complaining about iscsi-kernel-issues....

Just search the net for iscsi.problems on linux.
>  Never
> the less, AoE would still process on dom0, while pvSCSI is directly done
> on the domU.

yep.

> Stefan

Thomas