Re: [Xen-users] disk backend performance

  • To: Stefan de Konink <stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Ross Walker <rswwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:45:45 -0500
  • Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stefan Bauer <stefan.bauer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:46:43 -0800

On Nov 28, 2008, at 5:54 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Stefan Bauer wrote:
Stefan de Konink schrieb:
My benchmarks for iSCSI vs NFS performance tests both saturate the links
10GE ->  1GE, while the first has a bit better < 10% performance.
Don't compare apples/oranges. iSCSI is a transport protocol and has
nothing todo with application layer stuff like NFS.

It was all bonnied ;) So I had a test with native iSCSI connectors (non-pv) and NFS (tap:aio). Clearly if both saturizes my links, and tap:aio takes more memory, iscsi is my winner.

(The main reason why I prefer layer 3, because I can use different subnets on the same target)

There are many other reasons to pick iSCSI over AoE such as error recovery, error detection, transmission reliability, disk sharing via reserve/release or persistent reservations, different target types other than random access disk storage such as virtual/real tape drives, virtual/real optical drives and other SCSI based devices.

If you want cheap simple local storage that emulates SATA then AoE should fit the bill.

-Ross