Re: [Xen-users] how to assign public IP for different dom

  • To: "Pete Kay" <petedao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Thomas <iamkenzo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 13:14:15 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 04:15:06 -0800

Hello,

It is very easy. There are 2 ways of doing it:

Prelude: make sure your public IP points to the IP of your dom0.

Way1:
- In the domU config file, you put the public IP of the domU
- in the domU, edit /etc/network/interfaces with the correct public IP
and add a gateway

Way2 (my preference):
- using iptables, create a redirection rule based on IP.

Using way2 is a bit more tedious as you need to create a rule for each
port you want to make available over internet, but iptables gives you
more control on the packets.

I have participated in the following screencast:
http://www.digiprof.fr/products/demarrer-la-virtualisation-avec-xen

It walks you through all the steps of setting up a network on a Xen
virtual machine, and there is a chapter about public IP assignment.
It's in french but you should be able to understand the steps that are
anyway in english. If people are interested I can ask to have it
translated to english too.

Best regards,