Re: [Xen-users] Differences when using Xen with Debian Lenny and other distro

  • To: "Simon Hobson" <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Grant McWilliams" <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:20:09 -0800
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:21:30 -0800

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thomas Goirand wrote:

Another particularity: the xen bridge used is named eth0. I don't
understand this choice as using a xenbrX seems to be quite a reasonable
"standard" in Xen. Making it with a different name means that any
userland script for the general audience of Xen users concerning the Xen
bridge will need adaptation...

That threw me somewhat when I built a server with Lenny, having previously used Etch. Took me ages to get the networking working :-(

--
Simon Hobson

Didn't this come in with newer versions of Xen though? CentOS does the same. I've found poorly written applications that work better with the bridge being called eth0 though. I've had to change VirtualBox to mimic Xens strategy for that reason.

Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.