Re: [Xen-users] Mount CD ROM iso during kickstart postinstall

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Mac McClellan <mmcclellan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mount CD ROM iso during kickstart postinstall
>
> CentOS 5.2 i386
>
> I'm doing a xen virtual machine installation from a DVD iso image with a
> kickstart file to set network and run scripts and such in the postinstall
> section.
>
> During the installation the DVD iso is listed as device /tmp/cdrom and
> mounted on /mnt/source.  Once the installation is done and the post install
> starts the /tmp/cdrom device is unmounted.
>
> Part of my kickstart is copying certain files from the DVD iso to the
> installed system but all attempts to re-mount the DVD fail.
>
> /tmp/cdrom is gone once the postinstall portion of the install starts.  On a
> real machine I've been able to re-mount the DVD in the postinstall using
> /dev/cdrom or /dev/hdc but on this virtual machine it does not work.  It
> complains of 'No medium found'.
>
> A listing of /dev during the post install shows a valid device of /dev/hdc
> but any attempts to mount it in the postinstall portion of kickstart results
> in 'No medium found'.

Could it simply be that a pause or sleep is needed for the iso to be "read in"?

Any idea might be to try to manually detach and attach the disk
devices with xm block-detach and xm block-attach.

====================

Sleep does not work.  I had previously added a 5 minute sleep to the kickstart
to allow me to poke around on a different terminal to discover what what is
mounted and when.  /dev/hdc gets unmounted right at the start of the post
install.

I tried xm block-attach on Dom-0 like this:

xm block-attach yum /var/lib/xen/images/yum-cd-10.06.09.iso /dev/hdc r

and got this error:
Error: Device /dev/hdc (5632, vbd) is already connected.

So it thinks that it is already attached but any attempt to mount it from
within the Dom-U fails with a 'No medium found' error

To mount I'm using:
# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/sysimage/mnt/cdrom

Any other ideas?

Mac