Re: [Xen-users] Starting out in Xen

  • To: dnk <d.k.emaillists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Grant McWilliams" <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:16:24 -0800
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:17:04 -0800

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM, dnk <d.k.emaillists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi there,

I am JUST starting out in Xen, and was wondering which download is best to use for the barebones hypervisor? For my typical day to day stuff I use CentOS 5.x which has Xen included....

Now it is my unfamiliarity with Xen, but would that install the hypervisor withe centos Dom0 (which is a guest right - in technical terms anyways)?

Or is that some sort of Xen installed over top?

I am just trying to get as bare metal on the base OS (like the vmware ESXi).

Thanks in advance.

Everyone will have their preference but CentOS works fine for a Xen platform. You might want to update the Xen included though by adding the gitco repository. The rpms for Xen 3.3 are there.

http://www.grantmcwilliams.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=229:install-xen-33-on-centos-5-the-easy-way&catid=97:xen-howtos&Itemid=465

Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.