[Xen-users] Re: Mounting Xen LVM Guests

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Ferenc Wagner <wferi@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:25:13 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 03:25:53 -0800

"Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Eredicator X wrote:
>
>> ----- "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> - learn how to use kpartx, pvscan, and vgscan, and hope you don't
>>> have conflicting VG names.
>>
>> This is what I am currently trying to do.
>
> [...]
>
> IMHO, the steps above are painful. So I'd suggest that you reinstall
> using only one partition (/) WITHOUT LVM, WITHOUT SWAP.

In my experience, LVM inside domUs is very useful.  It makes
persistent naming, snapshotting, live resizing or migration to new
storage possible.  These may not count on a test system, but they do
when you provide some important service via your domU.

But then you should be familiar with the LVM tools anyway, so the
above can't be a problem.  And conflicting VG names is a disaster
anyway.  Usually I set each to something meaningful, like the host
name for example.
--
YMMV, cheers,
Feri.