Re: [Xen-users] Re: Large server, Xen limitations

> Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Aleksandar Ivanisevic <aleksandar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>> I have a 8Gb server running a dozen or so VMs with combined memory
>>> usage (as reported by xm list) never over 6Gb and been getting strange
>>> intermittent out of memory errors.
>>
>> make sure dom0-min-mem in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp is set to something
>> sane,  I use 512 on my 8G servers and 1024 on my 32G servers.   Anything
>> less, depending on your linux distro and how much you are doing in the
>> Dom0,
>> can give you out of memory errors.
>
> I already have dom0_mem=768M in kernel params to limit the dom0 memory
> usage, why would I want to set the minimum to 1G?
>
> I am not doing anything in dom0, this is a dedicated xen server, with
> 10 PV machines dom0 mem usage never crosses 0.5G.
>
> Is there a leak or something?

I've always found Xen is the most stable when you set dom0_mem and
dom0_min_mem to teh same value. Basically it disables the balloon driver
for Dom0. Like you said, Dom0 shouldn't be doing alot that requires
fuctuating memory so setting it to a fixed value should not hurt. Of
course that is just my opinion.

Ryan