Re: [Xen-users] GPLPV drivers problem

James Harper wrote:
>> Switching back from Standard PC to ACPI multiprocessing HAL is impossible.
>>

> It certainly isn't impossible. I did it a few days ago.
>
> It isn't even that hard and is documented on the internet in various places.
> Basically, what I did was:
>
> . find the acpi hal (on CD or from another machine) and copy it to your
> 'Standard PC' machine and call it c:\windows\system32\hal_xxx.dll
> . create a new boot.ini entry the same as the others but with
> /HAL=hal_xxx.dll added
> . reboot and select the new boot.ini entry - this selects the ACPI hal on a
> temporary basis.
> . update the hal driver to the ACPI hal using device manager
> . reboot
> . make sure you backup your system first :)

Hi James,

I'm having a problem selecting which HAL to use.
Background :
I installed W2k3-SP2 with 2 CPU, acpi=1,apic=0,pae=0, and install Xen PV
Drivers 0.9.12-pre13. This worked fine. Then I clone this machine (using
dd, and using ntfsresize/clone), both method worked fine. Then I tried
changing the CPU to 3 (edit xen config, vcpus=3), this also worked fine.

Now I want to change the config to single CPU only (vcpus=1). Windows
crashed immediately during boot.

I tried extracting halaacpi.dll (according to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/309283,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/309283) to
c:\windows\system32, booted with /hal=halaacpi.dll, but still windows
crashed.

Any ideas? Perhaps I'm using the wrong hal?

Regards,

Fajar