Re: [Xen-users] Can you convert Windows LVM domU to sparse img file?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:15:15 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 00:16:15 -0800

MÄris Ruskulis wrote:
> You can do this by dd.
> for example:
> dd if=/dev/vg/winpart of=/home/myuser/winimage.img bs=4096
> bs set to your block size, as i remember ntfs has 4096 by default.

bs=32M (or whatever "PE Size" that pvdisplay shows) will probably be faster.
dd won't give you SPARSE img file though. Then again, your LV could be
"dirty" (e.g contain deleted data) so that any "normal" attempt to
create sparse file will not be effective.

I'd suggest you just accept the full,non-sparse file that dd gives you.
An alternative would be to use ntfsresize and ntfsclone, but it requires
a lot more effort (including using kpartx,fdisk, and having a "good" MBR
handy).

Regards,

Fajar