Re: [Xen-users] I need help with fully utilizing xen on a new system

Todd Deshane wrote:

> Consider the book "Running Xen" - http://runningxen.com

Thanks, I've bookmarked that site.

> This depends. There are some trade-offs. Performance vs. flexibility.
>
> Image files giving the most flexibility, but with somewhat less performance.
> Partitions/LVM/RAID more performance, but less flexibility.
>
> You can mix and match based on your needs and there is a lot of
> questions and analysis on the list about this
> search xen.markmail.org <http://xen.markmail.org> for more info and/or
> asked more specific questions.

Excellent.  Thank you.

> No, you can passthrough PCI devices directly to a domU. Doing this
> securely requires an IOMMU (Intel VT-d) or
> a very recent AMD IOMMU. IOMMU is a chipset feature, it and VT-d have
> also been heavily discussed on this list.
> There are some limitations without an IOMMU such as lack of support for
> a HVM/Full virt (i.e. Windows) guest to get
> a PCI device passed to it

I'll watch out for that in my reading.

> The latest version of Xen support memory over commit, CPU over commit
> has been available for a long time.

By "over commit" do you mean temporary bursting?

> Xen is an open source project and sometimes the documentation is not the
> greatest. There is quite a bit of effort going into this, but it will be
> some time before it is considered good.
>
> That being said, Xen is being used by a lot of people all over the world
> in production, companies, universities, researchers, etc. There is a lot
> of information on the
> web (howtos, wiki information, etc. etc.) and quite a few books as well.
>
> Hope that helps to get you started.
>
> Cheers,
> Todd
>
> --
> Todd Deshane
> http://todddeshane.net
> http://runningxen.com

Thank you Todd. I feel like I am prepared and pointed in the correct direction.

-Charles