RE: [Xen-users] GPLPV network performance

  • To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:16:00 +1100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 15:16:44 -0800

> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 6:57 PM, James Harper
> <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> is there something I
> >> forgot to tweak?
> >>
> >> Dom0: Intel Q9450 2.66 GHz, OpenSuse11.0 64bit, xen 3.2.1_16881
> >> DomU: Windows 2003 SP2, GPLPV 0.9.12-pre13, file based.
> >> Iperf: 547 Mbits/sec (domu -> dom0)
> >>

> > Also need to know:
> > . have you disabled any of the offload features in the windows
network
> > driver? (if you don't know how to do that then your answer is no :)
> > . how many vcpu's does Windows have?
> > . Is your windows 2003 32 or 64 bit?
> >

> Last week I setup two Windows 2003 32bit (one of them is cloned from
> the other), GPLPV, 2 CPUs each, with ACPI=1 on domU config. iperf got
> around 500 Mbps.
>
> Then out of curiosity, I changed one of them to have one CPU, ACPI=0,
> and changed Windows HAL to Standard PC. iperf now gives me a whopping
> 1.4 Gbps.
>
> Both tests where done without messing with any network offload
> settings. Is it safe to assume that, for now, Standard PC HAL will
> give better network performance compared to ACPI HAL when used with
> GPLPV?

That is a good question, but I don't know the answer. I get great
performance (>2Gbits/second) on my system without much effort at all,
even with SMP. My system is AMD though... maybe there is some difference
there?

With 1 cpu and ACPI, what was your performance like? (eg was it SMP
slowing you down or ACPI?)

I would be grateful if you could do a bit more testing here as this is a
recurring problem...

> Is it also the same case for the disk driver?

Probably. I think the problem is system based rather than simply network
based.

James