Re: [Xen-users] Anyone using dual 3Ghz/4gb servers?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:38:13 -0700, Nick Couchman wrote:
>ïYou could almost certainly put them to use - how useful they'll be will
>ïdepend on what you need them for.

I've not played with xen enough yet to know a few things. For example, the
servers I have been using to date are 8-way so it's pretty easy to tap from
those.

I've not had enough time with xen yet to know this but when you only have two
CPUs, the number of guests is still related to total resource usage and not
guest count right?
In other words, the number of guests is not limited by number of CPUs but by
total amount of resource usage by x number of guests, is this correct?

>ïAlso, if those 2-way systems don't have VT capability you'll only be able to
>run
>ïparavirtualized guests - you won't be able to run HVM domUs (which rules
>ïout Windows and a few others).

Yes, they do offer virtualization capabilities, just like the larger count CPU
units I have.
Just kinda wondering how useful they are since they will in fact use up more
power than the 8-way machines but will be individual servers.

For example, aside from power requirements:

One, 8-way 3.0Ghz Xeon server with 16GB to 32GB memory.
vs or equate to;
Eight, dual 3.0Ghz Xeon servers each with 4GB memory, expandable to 8GB.

Trying to get a handle on what would be best to use. Most of the services will
be LAMP based with a smattering of various other redundant services such as
DNS, etc.

Mike