Re: [Xen-users] Not able to assing static IP to domU

Hi Meghanand

How did you assigned the domU IP address?

First, you need to be sure that the IP address is available and DNS registered. For this, talk with the network administrator.
Second, after having a domU working, you must edit the following files:
1 - /etc/sysconfig/network
2 - /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Here's an example:

more /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=hostname.your.domain
GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

more /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
BROADCAST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
#HWADDR=
IPADDR=123.243.2.1.12
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes

Use the gateway and netmask as in your dom0. Hopefully, during domU installation, these values are taken from the dom0. Important, change the BOOTPROTO var to static (not dhcp). Also, take care of the Mac address (HWADDR var). If you want to use it, do not forget that it must match the one in your xen config file.
Reboot machine. And that's it.

Nuno
Meghanand Acharekar wrote:
Hi,

I am quite new to XEN :) ,
I have installed XEN on RHEL5.3 server (dom0 is RHEL5) having ip address say 123.234.1.11 After I installed domU on which is also RHEL5 server, assigned ip address 123.243.2.1.12 After rebooting domU the static address is automatically wiped out, found it was searching for DHCP, also the n/w configuration file
i.e. ifcfg-eth0 PROTOCOL is set to dhcp,
The static address works fine when manually assigned but after every reboot it automatically replaces with DHCP.

No able to figure out the reason behind this

--
Thanks & Regards,

Meghanand N. Acharekar
" A proud Linux User "